A parent or guardian may request an exception to attendance for a student(s) to attend another school other than their scheduled attendance area. An exception to attendance does not apply to District-Wide Option schools.
REASONS FOR AN EXCEPTION TO ATTENDANCE:
Residential: If there is a change in residence during the current school year, a parent or guardian may request the student to complete the school year at the current school. A copy of the purchase agreement or rental lease contract must be attached to this form.
Legal: If there is a legal matter that may require a student to attend school outside of his or her attendance area school. A copy of the necessary documentation must be attached to this form.
Medical: If a medical reason exists which prevents the student from attendance at his or her attendance area school. A signed doctor's statement must be attached to this form.
Daycare: A parent or legal guardian may request that a child attend school in the school serving the area in which the daycare provider resides.
Each application is reviewed by the office of the assistant superintendent. Families will be notified when a decision is made.
Rochester Public Schools
Office of the Assistant Superintendent
Edison Administration Building
615 Seventh St. SW
Rochester, MN 55902
Exception to Attendance Renewals
Once an exception to attendance has been approved, a new exception form does not need to be submitted each year unless; the student attending a school on an exception is advancing to the next school building level, i.e. (from elementary to middle school, or from middle to high school).
If you will be filing an exception to attend at the next building level, the reason for the exception must meet criteria and fit board policy 503.03.
If you choose to discontinue your exception for the 2016-2017 school year, you will need to notify Registration & Records at 507-328-4231.
Conditions of an Exception to Attendance
1. An Exception to Attendance form documents reasons students attend a school outside of their neighborhood area school.
2. Exception to Attendance may be limited based on the academic welfare of the students, the building capacity and the current class sizes.
3. The student must maintain acceptable attendance and behavior or the exception may be rescinded and the student would return to the home attendance area school.
4. Transportation is not provided and is the responsibility of the student's family.
Reasons for Daycare Exceptions to Attendance
A parent/legal guardian may request that a child attend school in the school serving the area in which the daycare provider resides. This is granted provided the following conditions apply:
1. Transportation is provided by the District only if the address is within the attendance area of the receiving school and meets the distance requirements for transportation. A "Daycare transportation Request Card" must be completed in the transportation office.
2. The daycare provider must sign and provide contact information on the Exception to Attendance form.
Reasons for Residential Relocation Exceptions to Attendance
1. If there is a change in residence during the school year, a student may request to complete the school year at the current school. A copy of the purchase agreement or rental lease contract must be attached to the form.
Reasons for Legal Exceptions to Attendance
1. If there is a legal matter that may require a student to attend school outside of his or her attendance area school, an exception may be granted. A copy of the necessary documentation must be attached to the form.
Reasons for Medical Exceptions to Attendance
1. If a medical reason exists which prevents the student from attendance at his or her attendance area school, an exception may be granted. A signed doctor’s statement must be attached to the form.
Secondary School Level Extracurricular Eligibility
1. Exceptions to attendance will not be granted for athletic or activity participation reasons.
2. Any student who is changing schools on an Exception to Attendance will be ineligible to register and participate at any level of all MSHSL- sponsored athletic and fine arts activities for a period of one year.
3. Any student who participates in MSHSL- sponsored activities while on an Exception to Attendance and subsequently drops the exception in order to attend the school in his/her area of legal residence, will be considered a transfer student and ineligible for a period of time determined by MSHSL bylaws.
These forms are in Adobe Acrobat Reader PDF format.