Licensure Requirements: Online Handbook
Requirements for Renewing a 5-Year License
It is understood that the purpose of continuing education is to
increase or enhance the capabilities of the professional educator in
performing assigned professional responsibilities. CEU credits are
awarded for those experiences. (MN Dept. of Education)
There are seven mandatory Subject Heading requirements that must be met before a renewal can occur. You must take courses in the following areas:
- English Language Learners (ELL) (minimum of 1 CEU)
- Positive behavioral intervention strategies (minimum of 1 CEU)
- Reading in the content area of strategies (4 credits-effective July 2013)
- Accommodation, modification, and adaptation of curriculum, etc. (minimum of 1)
- Key warning signs of early onset mental illnesses (2 credits) Effective 12/2/2016. One hour must include Suicide Prevention Best Practices.
- Technology Integration (2 credits).
- Reflective statement of professional accomplishment and assessment of professional growth.
A minimum of 125 clock
hours must be earned from at least two activity categories and be
accumulated within the five-year period from the date of issuance
through June 30th of the year of expiration. Hours may not be “banked”
for use toward future renewals.
Multiple Area Renewal
If renewing in two or more areas (e.g., math and special education),
the applicant should earn at least 30 clock hours in each area in which
licensure is requested. A total of no fewer than 125 clock hours is
required, with priority given to work in areas in which the candidate is
employed during the licensure period.